Friday, May 24, 2013

The Tea Time Travesty



Aunt Kate and Aunt Delilah are arguing again.  Its a constant comfort that these otherwise wise, calm and civilized older women take opposing sides on all things that matter and yet remain so close.  I enjoy each luncheon I attend know that whatever topic crosses the table with be grappled with and carefully pulled apart with intellect and gentle retorts and sly taunts.  Not all black cats attend the luncheons and that is a shame for the rest of them.  I plan on getting old and I want to have as much class and humor and Aunts Kate and Delilah.
We meet every sunday.  Elwood’s Diner is a clustered with large families enjoying after church nourishment and allows us to gather hidden in a crowd.  Proper dress is required to sit at the table.  Being well groomed comes second nature and is essential for a black cat.   I rest back comfortably having arrived neither to early nor too late.  Amanda tails the waitress, the clumsy sound of her chair is easily absorbed by the crowds around us.  Nobody looks at her but nobody smiles.  Amanda is the youngest black cat and she is still learning the unspoken.  I like her, she has lots of energy and sharp instincts.  I feel confident in the wyld with her in my wake, but the Unspoken are as important as any charm or mystic in keeping the pride safe.
Amanda fusses with her hair nervously.  The topic of dogs have come up again.
“I don’t think we need to get involved, “ Says Aunt Delilah, “these things have a tendency to work themselves out.”
“There is no question about whether we should get involved, dear,” Aunt Kate says reaching for the sugar, “the question is who to send.  These things tend to get out of hand, and you can’t expect men to clean up their own messes.”
According to the unspoken Aunt Delilah is putting it to a vote those that sip their tea when she sips her’s will be in agreement.  Those of us who rest are hands away from our cups vote to get involved.  Amanda is now fiddling with saucer of hers.  “Can I get some coffee please?” she asks trying to get the waitress’ attention.  Her actions are unfortunately confusing things as we seem to be tie in the vote and I kick her under the table.  Her eyes bulge in surprise and her hands slip off her cup to rub her knee.  My tactic earns me a grin from Aunt Kate and a look from Aunt Delilah.  Both of which are unspoken currency.  The vote in the matter has been settled.  The cup sippers put down their cups.
“The dogs tend to be close minded and brutal so the one who goes needs to be tactful.” Aunt Kate says after consideration.
“Expendable you mean.” Aunt Delilah says with distaste.
“Oh Goodness no Dear, I wouldn't dream of asking you to go.” Aunt Kate says with a teasing grin.
“Thus lets not have you judge who among us has the most tact.?” Aunt Delilah says sweetly.
“Pepper should go.” suggests Amanda.  Clueless still to the chain of command.  She should have made her comment to one of the younger girls like herself to be over heard.  I expect her suggestion to be ignored.
“Agreed.” says Aunt Kate.
“Agreed.” Echoes Aunt Delilah.  All eyes are suddenly on me.  Both Aunts agreed on something.  Somewhere an angel just lost their wings.  I pick up my cup and drain it gracelessly.  
“excuse me ladies, apparently Amanda and I are late for an appointment.” I say standing.
“I have no appointments today.” Amanda says now but gets up as everyone glares at her.
“Of course, Pepper.  Do be careful.  You know how men can be.  I look forward to hearing about your appointment next week.” Aunt Delilah says warmly.

“Take care dear.  I know that luck will follow you.” Aunt Kate stands and gives me a kiss on the cheek.  More currency.  I grab Amanda’s arm and pull her out of the Diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment